1/19/09

OTHER WRITINGS BY UICRC BROTHER AND SISTER AUTHORS

38 comments:

Anonymous said...

my color of my skin is the skin of a dark peach.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I want to be puppy.
I would play catch and I would cuddle with my cousin and I would sleep on my mom’s bed.
I would lick my uncle’s face and I will love my family.

Anonymous said...

Someday…
I want to be a singer.
I will give my fans my autograph.
I will be on the radio
I will be famous.
Someday…

Today…
I am learning about math and practicing my timetables.

Anonymous said...

Nachos
By Esther Silva


Nachos are the best thing in the world. This is because of the cheese and the beef. The textures of nachos are really slimy, sticky and chewy. The first sight of nachos is the cheese. The color of the cheese is golden and yellow. The view of the beef from my sight is really pebbly. The nachos just melt in your mouth. They are so creamy and hot. The chips are so crunchy in your mouth. The type of meat you put on the nachos is beef and it is thick and crumbly. The ingredients in nachos are all mixed up together. What I am talking about is the beefy meat, the crunchy chips and the modestly spicy cheese. When the salt comes to your teeth it feels like pop rocks. The salt makes a ting in your mouth. When you bite the chip you could hear it in your brain. I can smell the mixture of cooked beef and melted cheese. The best cheese for nachos is American cheese. Wrigley Field is where you can find the best nachos if you have a ticket.

Anonymous said...

Cats

Cats can be as fluffy as a blanket and as soft as a sweater. Some are as black as a night sky while others are as light brown as milk chocolate. You can’t always tell how cats feel. Why? Some cats are so mean that they just want to eat you. They can be horrible too. I mean they attack, bite, and scratch. Sometimes I wonder why cats do that. On the other hand, cats can be so darling and bright. They make you want to cuddle with them. Cats can be as peaceful as a forest. I like when they sleep. Cats smell so terribly which may make you want to kick them out of your house. Some cats are small like mine. It’s a boy. They can be skinny. People come by my house like all the time to see him. People say that he is such a darling cat. My cat always pounces everywhere, so he gets exercise. How? He jumps and runs a lot. I wish that someday I could play with him without having him bite me, and that I could cuddle with him in my bed.

Anonymous said...

Mythical Beast

Norele,a bossy creature which bullies other creatures around. It has a lions head and body. It’s tail is a snake. The snake tail has fangs which are fierce. Beware of it’s angry growl. It hides in dark basements. Be cautious it adores burning down buildings,

Anonymous said...

Amber's Life

There was a new girl in town and her name was Amber. She really didn’t want to go to a new high school because she didn’t want people to judge her.

She started a new high school called Itunes. She was in Mr. Leaf’s home room, which is room 114. They put her in group A. Group A is advanced which is where they are the smarter kids. Everyone in group A was nice and quiet. But they though Amber was stuck up because of how she presented her self. They though she was stuck up because her body language and face was forlorn and she is never joyful.

After three months it was the 2nd quarter and Amber was starting to talk to some kids in her group. Then she became best friends with them because she started to chat to them about the work they were doing.
“Mika, is my math answer right?” asked Amber.
Mika said, “Let me look at my answer so I can tell you if it is or not.”
Amber said, “Okay just let me know.”
They said that Amber was a nice, silly, funny, and a shy friend, but they liked that about her because no one out of their friends was brilliant.

They found out through the year that Amber is not that shy, she love’s to talk and she is not that timid when you get to know her.

Anonymous said...

Paint People


My sister and I liked to paint. So one day when my mom was on the phone we snuck into the play room. At the time we were two and tree. We grabbed some paper and blank paint.

My mom had gotten off the phone and was looking for us. I never said that we liked to paint on paper. She found us covered in black paint, just are eyes and mouths unpainted but the paper was clean. I got my puppy dog eyes ready for a lot of yelling my mom yelled and laughed but mostly laughed. In my mind I was really, really, really relieved. I almost said “yes” out loud.

She scrubbed me so much my skin was reddish. You know like when you just wash off face paint. She scrubbed me with a potato scrubber. I looked like a tomato. She from then on hid the paint and locked the play room door. Until we found that we could stand on a chair and turn the lock and we found where she put the paint.


By Katherine Pierce

Anonymous said...

13 years

Have you wondered why 13 is the worst age to be? I'm Anthony Smith and I'm 13, and my life is a wreck. Well it started at the first day of school I had just started 8th grade and it was the worst day of my life. The class clown was trying to do something for attention, so he tried to pull peoples pants down. By lunch time my guard was down, so as I got out of my seat he dropped my pants, and yelled out "Hey! look Smith wears pink underwear." Everyone started to laugh at me except for one girl, Kayla Morris, she was the most popular girl in the class and she did a lot, she was in student council, played basketball and was voted the best dressed in the school. I noticed that all her girlfriends were laughing except her. She looked around to see if anyone was paying attention to her and blew a kiss at me, I looked to see if anyone was behind me and there were a few people behind me but they were to busy laughing at me. Then at that point I pulled up my pants and I thought, "Was that for me" because she never notice or talk to me before and plus she has a boyfriend, so then I threw my trash away.

After school I was looking to see if Kayla liked me or not. She was hidden within the crowd, but I found her walking around looking for someone. So I called her “Hey Kayla!” she turned around and looked at me and started to smile, she said “Yes Anthony” she sounded like she was in love with me or something, I came out and said “Was that kiss you blew for me?” she stared at me for a few seconds and finally said “Maybe,” in a shy girly sound, and that was it. With girls maybe means yes or no, but by the way she sounded when she said maybe she meant yes. So as I was looking at her she was writing this note it was her phone number it was 555-2129. Then she said “Call me if you're interested.” And she walked away. So as I walked home it wandered in my mind if I should call her or not. When I got home my mom had some news for me, news that involves me is always bad news and it was. “Anthony your Aunt Rosie’s house caught on fire and they have nowhere to go. So I volunteered to let her stay here until she can buy a new house and your cousin Sean will be staying in your room.” “What! Mommy I thought you loved me. How could you let Cousin Sean sleep in the same room as me? And you know Jenny don’t like him” Jenny’s my older sister she’s 20. Sean and Jenny have been rivals for 3 years. “Now, now don’t bring your sister in this conversation she knows that they're staying with us.” I ran up to my room because she always does those kind of things, volunteer to do something that involves me or Jenny.

I thought really hard about calling Kayla today, so I called one of my friends to see what they would do and I did. First I tried Bobby "Hello" I said "Yea what's up Anthony" Bobby said "Can you answer a question for me?" "Sure." "If a girl gives you her number should you call her that day?" Bobby paused for a second and said. "Yea, you should" " Ok thanks dude" then I hung up the phone. I took his advice and I called Kayla the phone rang a few time, my, heart felt like it was going to jump out my chest. She picked up phone I heard some music in the background she said "Hello" "It's me Anthony" I said with a deep voice "Oh so you want me to answer do I like you and the answer is yes." I was shocked I thought she had a boyfriend so I asked "But don't you have a boyfriend" She paused and then she said" No, I don't, but I do now" I was so surprised at her answer I couldn't speak. Then she said "See you tomorrow."

Anonymous said...

It was a nice day in April a girl named Layla was walking from school she was really scared that another house was going to burn down. In her neighborhood lately there has always been fires. Her best friend Crystal’s house burned down and now she has to live with her but she likes her living with her. She saw the black smoke in the air. Her heart dropped. She was right another house did burn down on 90th street. So she ran home and she grabbed her video camera and taped the burning home. Steam was coming out of her hair. When she turned on her video camera she did not see anything at all except fire. She stared at the fire for minutes and than she saw a big thing and a little thing in a shadow as it got closer it looked like a lion and with a snake’s tail. She was shocked to see this creature. So she ran outside and she scolded the lion and the snake creature by saying, “You guys are mean nasty mutants.” Then she said to herself, “what the heck am I doing, I’m talking to a mutant I should be talking to a human, I should be talking to Michelle. Poor Michelle.”

To be continued…

Anonymous said...

Sixteen year old Laura heard her dad snoring like a motorcycle. She knew she was going to get away with it now because her parents were sleeping. She tip toed across the bedroom and out of no where the house phone rang. She froze like a statue.

She kept walking slowly because she was determined . She finally got to her window. She was confident because she had done it before. She quietly opened her crying window. With her brown curly hair hitting her in her shinny green eyes she jumped out the window courageously.

She was walking down the dark vacant street and she saw her aunt’s SUV. Her aunt stopped and said worriedly, “ Where are you going little girl?”
Laura lied, “To a friend’s house for a sleep over,” as she fidgeted with her hands.
Her aunt persisted, “At this time of night? Do your parents know?”
“Of course they know.” She looked away from her aunt.
“Well do you want a ride?”
“ No I’ll walk it’s only two blocks away.”
“Ok see you later,” Her aunt said secretly dialing Laura’s parents number on her cell phone.
Laura turned around and goes the other way. Her aunt put the phone on her ear.
“Hello,” says Laura’s mom, “Who am I speaking with?”
“It’s your sister, I just saw Laura walking down the street.”
“You must have mistaken her for someone else, are you sure?”
“Oh no she stopped and told me that she was going to a friend’s house.”
“Let me go check her room because I think you are mistaken.”
“Ok.”
So Maria Laura’s mom went to Laura’s bed. She saw Laura covered in her bed. Maria checked under her cover because Laura’s body looked awkward. When she lifted the cover she saw three pillows.
“OH SHE IS IN BIG TROUBLE!”
“What happened?” said dad.
Dad grabbed his slippers and mom also both still in their pajamas. Dad got in his car and went to Brianna’s house which is Laura’s friend. He knocked on the door so hard that the neighbors opened their door.
“Is Laura here?”
“No,” Brianna’s mom said.
“Is Brianna here? Does she know where Laura is?”
“Yes one moment.”
Brianna’s dad screamed, “Brianna someone’s here for you.”
“Ok be down stairs in a moment.”
Brianna came down stairs and told Laura’s parents where she might be. Laura’s mom said, “Thank you very much.” So they go to the house where she might be. When they got to the house they heard loud music and saw kids going in. They went to the door and knocked. Laura opened the door and her jaws dropped.

Anonymous said...

Description Brainstorm List (Pre-writing)

Water,dark blue,reflecting
Fireworks,blue,red,yellow
Colors,blue,red,yellow
Lights,bright,blinding
Ship
Night,dark
Smoke,misty
Barge

To be continued...

Anonymous said...

PERSUASIVE PLANNING SHEET

Paragraph One: Introduction
Introductory Statement:
Are you an athlete? Or maybe you are a sports fan. Do you consider yourself to be an intelligent person? What if high school athletes needed to maintain a grade of 70% to be eligible to participate in their sports?

Background Information:
The current grade for high athletes to play sports is 60%,that is equal to a “D.” Not doing enough work in class will get you a “D.” Receiving a “D” puts you below average, which means that you are under achieving.

Main Transition Sentence to Bodies (State your opinions and three reasons):
In my opinion the grading scale should be higher than 60%, it should be elevated to 70%. The reasons why are: students would seek tutors to understand their work, they will be focused and on task, and they would strive to do better.

Paragraph Two: Body 1
Topic Sentence:

Students will go to tutors to help them understand the material.

Support one:
Going to tutors will help athletes get the grades above average.

Example:
I play football and I also wrestle. I go to see a tutor to make sure I get good grades so I can play sports.

Support two:
Tutors help you understand the work that has been given in school.

Example: Today I didn’t understand algebra/trig so I went to Math lab and got help with the work.

Support three:
Tutors make students more prepared for the tasks at hand.

Example: The tutors are there to check over your work.

Anonymous said...

Christian Flores

Jon was the best high school bully. He picked on the preschoolers and mad fun of them. . He said to the preschool ha ha ha ha. I can read and you cannot. Ha ha. But the preschool knew a plan. To keep the high school bully who was bossing us around. We will teach him a lesson. They tackled him with food and apple pie. They were screeching ah haa. Then he never bossed them around anymore.

Anonymous said...

Short Story 1st Draft



It was a dreadfully hot day in June. The girls, Laytoin, lisa, Jen, and Cloey were walking to the baseball field. They were walking so slow because they were talking about all the gossip about their school. Then all of the sudden they felt a big shove it was the boys. “Those stupid boys,” Jen said then all of a sudden Laytoin said there probably going to the baseball field .” Those girls ran as fast as a cheetah. Then they ran so fast that they knocked over jimmy why did you do that jimmy said. Laytion turned around with her hands on her hips and snapped back, “ Because we wanted to.” She was the voice of the group of girls. Joe turned his head and said, “Why don’t you back off and go play with your dolls?” Joe was the leader of the boys. Laytion replied, “Why don’t you go back to play with you transformers?” Both groups of children started to make a racket and walk towards each other. Well everybody except for Jimmy and Cloey, they stayed towards the back of their group. Cloey whispered to Jimmy, “I don’t know why they fight so much?” Jimmy shrugged his shoulders. Cloey and Jimmy were the only two that got along. Once everyone realized that Cloey and Jimmy were not in the argument their friends turned and looked at them. They began to argue back. Jimmy decided that the argument with the girls was silly. “ Look guys lets settle this fairly, whoever gets to corner first will get to play at the field today and tomorrow the losers can play.” Cloey announced that the people that were going to race were Joey and Laytoin.

Anonymous said...

I See Colors by Martin
Colors, colors,
What do you see?
I see a red truck
I see a blue line
I see a yellow zipper
I see a green frog
I see organge scissors
I see a brown star
I see a black computer
I see a purple book

Anonymous said...

This is a description of fireworks at Navy Pier.
In Navy Pier, the blinding fireworks make a bright mix of colors. The wonderful blue, red, and yellow lights make a reflection in the lake. You can also see in the water and dark night sky is the misty smoke released from the fireworks. A huge ship sails at the time of the fireworks meanwhile; you can see the barge where they’re launched. The loud deafening explosions are heard from far away. They send extra loud “kabooms” across the city. Most of these fireworks are launched on summertime holidays, but some during other times in the summer. There are always people watching these fireworks.

Anonymous said...

Are you an athlete? Or maybe you are the type of person that just likes to be a sports fan, that just likes to look at sports on TV. Do you consider yourself to be an intelligent person? Let’s say that you are in high school and you are an athlete, your grades are mostly “D” and you needed to maintain a grade of 70% which is a “C” so that you can be eligible to participate in your sports. The current grade for high athletes to play sports is 60%, that is equal to a “D.” Not doing enough work in class will get you a “D.” Receiving a “D” puts you below average, which means that you are under achieving. In my opinion the grading scale should be higher than 60%, it should be elevated to 70%. The reasons why are: students would seek tutors to understand their work, they will be focused and on task, and they would strive to do better.
My first reason why the grade percent should go up is student will go to tutors for more help with the material. Going to tutors will help the athlete to get their grades where they need to be, above average. I know this because I play football as well as wrestling. I go to a tutor for after-school help with work so that I can make sure that I get good grades so that I can play sports. A tutor also helps you to understand the work and what you have leaned in school. Like in school I don’t understand algebra/trig all the time so after school I went to math lab for 1 on 1 time to find out how to do the work. By raising the percentage students will use tutors to help them understand the material. Tutors will also give students skills to be focused and on task during class because they have an understanding of the material.
Another reason the percent should be increase is so that students come to class more focused and stay on task during class. By doing this students will have a better understanding of the work that the teacher has given because they are paying more attention. The students are looking and listening to the teachers more so that they can do better in the subjects. The students will put more effort and time into all their work which helps them pass the tests and also pass the class with “C” or higher. The students will have to take notes and read them on a regular basis so that they can succeed in the subject. Students will have to create goals of at least a “C” or higher so that they will be able to play their sport. They will have to come up with a plan to stick with their goal making it important to pay attention in class. Students will use what they have learned by staying on task to do better in all aspects of school not just in sports. Students will come to class more focused and stay on task during class.
The third reason the percentage should be raised is players will strive to do better in all aspects of school not just sports. Student will do better in school so that they can play their. If the student does not get a passing grade every week they will not be able to play their sport. Students will feel more confident in their abilities to succeed. They can depend on school and their athleticism to get them a scholarship. Students can make their parents proud because they are good at sports and academics. I know this because my parents are more excited when I do well at school along with sports. Students will strive to do better at school and sports so that they can play and become a smarter student.
I think it would be better if athletes had to earn a percentage of 70 instead of 60 because 60% is underachieving the average. If you had son that played sports but was earning “D’s” which would be more important improving his athletic skills or his academic skills?

Anonymous said...

Dear Mom and Dad,

I think I should be able to stay out later on school days and the weekends.

Here is why I should be able to stay out later with my friends. On a school day I will come home and do my homework right when I get home. You can come in my room and check on me to see if I am doing it. I promise that my reading and writing grades will come up.

I bet you that you and Mom are thinking what about my chores? When I am done with my homework I will clean my room and take out the garbage and do the dishes. Plus I will even do some of sissy chores. When you guys come home you would see how clean the house is and everything will be done.

Did you know that on March 21st Spring starts and it is getting nicer out and the sun is setting later. When it is lighter out everyone is out and it might be somewhat safer out. I bet you will want to know who I am with and you would want me to check in with you so I can call you and tell you who I am with and where I am.

I know you might think I will get in trouble but I promise you I will not because you can do a trial basis on me for like a week or two. If I do get in trouble you can not let me stay out late anymore. I can be late sometimes but not every time.

Please think about this because I hate staying home all the time.


Love,
Your mature and responsible daughter, Amber

Anonymous said...

Short Story 2nd Draft



It was a dreadfully hot day in June. The girls, Laytoin, Lisa, Jen, and Cloey were walking to the baseball field. They were walking so slow because they were talking about all the gossip about their school. Then all of the sudden they felt a big shove it was the boys. “Those stupid boys,” Jen said then all of a sudden Laytoin said, “they’re probably going to the baseball field .” Those girls ran as fast as a cheetah. Then they ran so fast that they knocked over jimmy, “Why did you do that.” jimmy said. Laytion turned around with her hands on her hips and snapped back, “ Because we wanted to.” She was the voice of the group of girls. Joe turned his head and said, “Why don’t you back off and go play with your dolls?” Joe was the leader of the boys. Laytion replied, “Why don’t you go back to play with you transformers?” Both groups of children started to make a racket and walk towards each other. Well everybody except for James and Cloey, they stayed towards the back of their group. Cloey whispered to James, “I don’t know why they fight so much?” James shrugged his shoulders. Cloey and James were the only two that got along. Once everyone realized that Cloey and James were not in the argument their friends turned and looked at them. They began to argue back. James decided that the argument with the girls was silly. “ Look guys lets settle this fairly, whoever gets to corner first will get to play at the field today and tomorrow the losers can play.” Cloey announced that the people that were going to race were Joey and Laytoin. Then Joey said wow wow wow I can’t race a girl. Why you scared Joey yea your scared the other girls said. You scared that a girl is going to beat you Lisa shouted. You sould’t be talking Lisa at gym you ran so slow you ran like a snail Eddy souted. Shut up Lisa said. Could we just get this race on, jen remarked. Okay Cloey said you gys only have a minate to get your self together till I count to 3. So Laytion was getting wready for the race and Joey said to her your slow a millon times laytion got so made that she said YOU JOEY NEED TO SHUT THE HEAK UP BECAUSE TODAY AT SHOOL YOU TOOLED EVERYBODY THAT IM FAT AND IM UGLEY PLESA FOR ONETIME LIVE ME ALONE . So all of a sudden cloey started to count down but all of a sudden joey said Im let just get on with race and Cloey was already conting to one and they ran so fast but all of a sudden lation was beating Joey and all the girs went crazy and by the time you now it laytion won. All the girls started to scream and say you guys are slow. Then laytoin said am I so fat now?” “ I am sorry about the holl ugley thing., said Joey. Just keep your mouth shut from now on joey I will. Then all of a sudden they looked in to of there eye and joey started to come so close to laytion like he was going to huge her. Then layiton said what are you doing joey oh oh oh what am I doing what what do you like me no n no no no I just felt bad for you because whatever you like me but when he could say yes the boys came over and they saind you lost and he said yea I did. We are losers we are not. Why want you come over to the baseball fild cloey said what are you talking about well if we win this baseball game will make fun of them yea your right so laytion said yea you guys what to come over and joey said sure. Then joey said could I talk to you laytion okay about what and he said I come on laytoin jen said and she sain all meet you at the baseball field oh yea joey said do you like joey one tell me the truth okay I do oh my god you can not tell anyone I wont cloy said well let just go to the baseball field.

Anonymous said...

One of my favorite things is MUSTANG CARS.

I like them because they are fast.

They have nozz.

One of my favorite things is CHOCOLATE.

I like it because it is tasty.

I like kisses.

One of my favorite things is t.v.

I like it because I like to watch movies about cars.

I like to watch Spongebob Squarepants!

Angelique said...

Report Card Day

I am worried about tomorrow because it’s report card day. I am worried because I think that I am going to get a D in math. I am angry because it’s not my fault.

Angus Johnston is the one whose fault it is with his stinky coffee breath. He gives us a lot of homework when we laugh at something. He picks the kids that he thinks are smarter then others. Our parents always believe him, but he lies sometimes to because he knows the parents are going to believe him. He says, “Gimme your agenda, I’m going to write your parents!” and “Do you want me to call your mom and dad?”

But the worst thing about Mr. Johnston is…he tells someone else to help me when I ask him for help. The other kids that help will joke around, and that means they are not helping me at all. When he teaches us he talks about something else like his life. It makes me feel dumb because I think I am not learning anything.

If I could give Mr. Johnston some advice, I would tell him to stop drinking coffee. I would also say stop talking about you life and teach us what we suppose to know.

Nicholas Chiu said...

Dear National Geographic Explorer KIDS,

I read a article “Out for blood” so I can learn more about bats. My favorite part is when the mosquito turns into a attck missile. I think that was funny. I looked up blood sucker picture in the computer.


To be continued...

Martin said...

I wish I was a pencil.


I wish I was a MUSTANG.


I wish I had a flying carpet.


I wish I could drive.


I wish I was an enchilada.


I wish I had a magic wand to make all of my wishes come true!

Airriona said...

Airriona wants a cell phone
Dear grandma,
Is it alright if I can have a cellphone? I will take good responsibility for the cellphone. I wont let my friends see my cellphone. If they ask can they see my cellphone to call there mother and ask her can they come over my house and play with me for a little while No I can’t let nobody see it .if I let someone see it and it get broke who is going to buy me anotherone ?plus who is going to get and trouble? Me, not you. To be continued...

Anonymous said...

SOLDIERS

One day I was watching an exciting movie called Transformers. There were these humongous robotic scorpions fighting the soldiers.The scorpions had a sharp tail that they tried to stab the soldiers with. In the end the soldiers killed the scorpions. I was so glad that the soldiers defeated the scorpions that it made me want to be a soldier when I grow up.
I already know a lot about what a soldier wears in combat. If a soldier is in the desert he needs to carry water. A soldier needs to wear a metal vest for good protection. Soldiers need weapons like smoke bombs to kill the enemy. They also carry hand weapons like pistols. Sometimes there is a sniper on top of a building and he will spot his enemy and release a bullet.

Anonymous said...

Brandon said SOLDIERS

One day I was watching an exciting movie called Transformers. There were these humongous robotic scorpions fighting the soldiers.The scorpions had a sharp tail that they tried to stab the soldiers with. In the end the soldiers killed the scorpions. I was so glad that the soldiers defeated the scorpions that it made me want to be a soldier when I grow up.
I already know a lot about what a soldier wears in combat. If a soldier is in the desert he needs to carry water. A soldier needs to wear a metal vest for good protection. Soldiers need weapons like smoke bombs to kill the enemy. They also carry hand weapons like pistols. Sometimes there is a sniper on top of a building and he will spot his enemy and release a bullet.

alejandro said...

Something brushed against me and my surprise turned to horror as I saw………

A deadly soldier from WWI who is a half plant, half man that has spiny vines as arms and huge human legs. His face has thorns and he has blades of grass for hair. I knew he was trying to rip me a part and have me for dinner. Well, he ripped my left arm off and I tried to run and clean off the blood that was spurting out. I thought it was the end of the world. Painfully, I ran to the nearest hospital and the doctors stitched my arm up. Gloomily I walked out of the hospital with one arm. As for the plant thing, he got burned by rowdy kids in the street.

Nicholas said...

Dear National Geographic Explorer KIDS,

I read an article “Out for blood” so I can learn more about bats. My favorite part is when the mosquito turns into an attack missile. I think that was funny. I learn that mosquito spit sliva while sucking the blood. I looked up blood sucker picture in the computer. The leeches are scary on people because the leeches suck your blood. An interesting fact was that a bedbug are a size as an apple seed. I would like to learn more about leeches. How big can they get?

Sincerely,

Nicholas Chiu

Amber said...

The Third Floor Window

It all began with an old lady who had her window open on the third floor. She loved owls and she fed them from that window. Then one day that old lady died and gave her cabin to her granddaughter, Ashley Hope.
Ashley Hope turned 17 her parents gave her the keys to the cabin. Then she planned a weekend with her friends up there. So that weekend came and they were heading up to the cabin and they noticed that it was very far away from their home, from the little town that it was in. The woods were all creepy and dark. They were hearing funny sounds on the way up there.
When they got to the cabin there was a path from the road to the house with rocks, the house was big and all broken down. The shutters were falling off, the dark brown paint was chipping off the wood. Then they were unloading their bags from the car. Ashley saw the third floor window was open. Ashley said to her friend, “Look. The third floor window is open. That is strange.” Then they went into the house and put their bags down then Ashley said to her friends, “Let’s go up to the room and pick out what bedroom we want to have.” They hear noises upstairs so they go and see what it is. The noise is a banging sound. BAM! BAM! So they run up the stairs to see what it is and then on the way to go see what the noise is they shut the window. BAM! BAM!
They opened the door to the room then BAM! BAM! sound stopped and they look around but nothing was there. So Ashley and her friends went downstairs. On their way down the stairs the third floor window was open again. So Ashley asked her friend’ if he can shut it and lock the top. Her friend said, “Okay,” and he shut the window and locked it and shut the shutters to.
Ashley and her friends were downstair’s hanging out having fun someone was knocking on the front door. So Ashley and one of her friends went to answer the door and it was some old man who said to Ashley, “Leave now before it is too late.” Then Ashley shut the door and the BAM! BAM! started again. So Ashley and her friend went upstairs to see what it was and the third floor window was open again. They ran down the stairs and said the third floor window is open again. So they all were creeped out and Ashley said, “I think we all should sleep down stair just to be safe.” Then they went up stairs and they all watched Ashley shut the window and lock it. Then they all went back down stairs and went to sleep.
At 6:30 a.m. the old man was knocking on the door again and woke them up and when they opened the door he said, “I told you to leave now something bad is going to happen.” So she said, “Go somewhere with our old self and slammed the door in his face.” Then she went and laid back down and the BAM! BAM! noises came back. So she went to go see what it was and the third floor window was open again and she went in the room and there were owls all in her grandmother’s room. The old man was in there too. Ashley ran down the stairs and woke everyone up and said that old creepy man is upstairs, we have to leave now before he does something to us. So they all got their stuff and got in the car and went home. When they were driven away the old man was in the third floor window waving to them….

Airriona said...

Letter
Airriona wants a cell phone
Dear grandma,
Is it alright if I can have a cell phone? I will take good responsibility for the cell phone. I won’t let my friends see my cell phone. If they ask can they see my cell phone to call there mother and ask her can they come over my house and play with me for a little while No! I can’t let nobody see it .if I let someone see it and it get broke who is going to buy me another one? Plus who is going to get and trouble? Me, not you.
Emergencies
Why is it important for young people to get a cell phone?
I want a cell phone for emergencies for me my brother or sister. What if my brother and sister run off and I am all alone with nobody just me and I see a man and he run out of his van and take me? Then you are going to ask my brother and sister where is Airriona they going to say I don’t know. And if I had a cell phone I could have called you or the police so that’s why I am asking for a cell phone only for emergencies please.
See how family doing
Like what if my family members call me and told me that they feel sick. And if they call the house phone and you don’t answer they call my cell phone and I will tell my grandma when I see her. And plus my cell phone will be always on.
Talk to friends
When I want to talk to my friends and you say use the house phone I am going to say grandma I don’t want your phone bill to be high. Some people can’t pay all they bills at once. That’s why I am asking for a cell phone. When I call my friends it’s going to be free nights and weekends. I will really just use it for emergencies.

Jakiria Williams said...

House Rules
By: Jakiria Williams

No running down the stairs.
No climbing up the roof.
No jumping on the bed.
No throwing garbage outside.
No hopping on the gate.
No drawing up the wall.
No playing in the kitchen.
No running by your ball.
Ranisha runs down the stairs.
She climbs right up the roof.
Ranisha always jumps on the bed.
She throws garbage outside.
Ranisha hops on the gate.
She calls me from a room.
I ran. Who gets in trouble?
Ranisha sure doesn’t.
Only me!

Jakiria Williams said...

Chocolate Brownie Maniac
By: Jakiria Williams

I love my mom.
I love my friend.
I love many others,
though they drive me to the end.
My teacher?
He is funny and clowny.
But I really love
my chocolate brownie.
I eat it when it’s malt.
I eat it when it does bake.
I eat it when it’s hard.
And I eat it when it’s cake.
I eat it by the corner.
I eat it by the room.
I eat it off the ground.
And I eat it off the broom.
I eat it and I eat it.
Till my stomach’s going to pop,
Then, I eat a little more-
I don’t know how to stop.
I love that crumbly taste.
Oh, so chocolatey, delicious, and tasty.
But I’ve eaten way too much
And I feel a little lazy.
I have to learn to stop.
I have to take control.
I’ll give up brownies forever…
When I’m 100 years old.

Jakiria Williams said...

DRAW 0’ WAR
By: Jakiria Williams

I will not play at caw o’ war.
I’d rather play at draw o’ war.
Where everyone draws
instead of caws.
Where everyone paints
And sketches on the claws.
Where everyone paints,
And everyone grins,
And everyone sketches,
And everyone wins.

Alexander said...

Dear Mark,

I heard that you were going through some hard times so I’m here to cheer you up even in the good times and the bad times. Apartheid is something like what we have here in America. We call it Jim Crow. Like Apartheid, Jim Crow is the separation of blacks and whites. Both of our situations are about the same. If you’re separated from white people it shouldn’t bother you because whites make our times hard. The whites separated blacks so we couldn’t drink from the same fountain, walk on the side of the street, or ride with them on the bus or train.
If things are hard then just think to yourself “I can do it” and I know you can, so you shouldn’t put yourself down no matter what you do. You shouldn’t let people walk over you or talk about you. If someone says something that makes you mad then walk away or just breathe, then you won’t have to fight. Never think of yourself as nothing, it won’t get you anywhere in life. If someone calls me the “N” word, I would say, “and, it’s just the word.” And walk away. Just remember, it is just a word. My mind and heart tells me I am something different. And you are special too. Think of only good thoughts even when you have to dig in the garbage for food because some people in America have to dig for food too. Remember to pray all the time.
Your good friend,
Alexander

alejandro said...

Dear Blog

Dear Blog,


I had a lot of fun posting my own writings on the blog. This was the first time I’ve ever posted any thing on a blog or web site. I’ve enjoyed learning more and a lot of tips and idea’s about how I can improve on my writing.




Sincerely,
Alejandro Becerra

Jonathan Thomas said...

April 22, 2009

To Whom It May Concern:

I am writing this letter as a formal recommendation for Jonathan Thomas. I have spent the last two semesters working one-on-one with Jonathan on reading and writing. He has shown amazing determination and commitment toward his academic and extra curricular studies. Jonathan came voluntarily to the University of Illinois at Chicago Reading Clinic to receive support in literacy skills. He also regularly attends tutoring at his high school to ensure his academic abilities. Jonathan puts forth a great deal of effort towards his learning because he is motivated to succeed. Through all of his time spent improving his academics I believe he has the commitment to achieve the standards of your quality institution. Jonathan knows that he still has much work to do and will not be deterred by the challenges that may arise.
One example of Jonathan’s achievements is in his writing. When we first started writing together Jonathan did not have confidence in his writing, conventions and turning his ideas into an organized cohesive paper presented the most challenges. As we have progressed he has shown a talent towards fiction pieces that engage his readers through emotional connections. He has also improved his reading and his ability to work through difficult words. Reading texts on his level is now much more engaging than it previously was because he has worked to develop skills that will guide him while he reads.
As I have seen Jonathan grow academically, I have also seen him grow as a person. He has been able to balance school, sports, and a personal life without fail; he is relentless in accomplishing all tasks set before him no matter what domain they seem to fall into. As a young man Jonathan is extremely respectful, this is shown through his manners and kindness towards peers, youth, and his elders. It is apparent that Jonathan’s upbringing and military schooling have played a starring role in his development as a person. Therefore, I firmly believe that Jonathan will be an asset to your educational institution. He will bring a vast amount of effort with him, inspiring other students to put their best forth as well. Jonathan will also add to your social aspects because of his personable skills and outgoing personality. He is a well rounded individual who has exceptional qualities. Please feel free to contact me for any additional information.

Sincerely,




Candice Lobo
(630) 776-3521
miss.lobo@gmail.com